Monday, September 5, 2011

Fall Gardening

Now is the time of year that we start thinking about fall gardening and what we can grow in a fall garden. I will be the first to admit that this the first year, I have tried to fall garden so I will be learning right there beside everyone else. I have always been told you need to grow fast growing plants and ones that are more suitable for cool weather too.

For my first time growing a fall garden, I am sticking more with the basics like green beans, turnips and radishes. I planted these plants because they have some of the fastest seed to produce times of any plants. You can also grown broccoli, cauliflower, and others. I planted my seeds/plants around the middle to late August and so far I am seeing the plants acting healthy and growing very well. The green beans are veining out wonderfully, the radishes and turnips are starting to produce bulbs (hoping for a bunch of turnip bulbs, they are one of favorites). You will want all of your plants to be producing vegetables by the end of September at the latest (depending on where you live in the nation or world).

You will not want to try to plant anything that is picky about the temperatures otherwise the plant will more than likely not make it during the fall season. Another good rule of the thumb is don't buy "baby" plants is because it will become incredibly difficult to make your money back on these plants. I would recommend planting your seeds into the garden and letting them grow naturally in your garden.

My useful tip of the week
If you are wanting to build a garden box next spring now is the time to buy all the products needed especially timber like landscape timbers. For example landscape timbers are normally around 4 to 5 dollars however because its the end of the season you can get them for a dollar a piece at certain stores. I bought 35 landscape timbers for 35 dollars which is a savings of over 100 dollars.

Side notes
I am starting to get an indoor greenhouse working inside of my house. I will keep you updated on how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment