Monday, October 10, 2011

Gardening using Pottery Part 3

First off I know I sound like a broken record continuing talking to talk about gardening your pottery even though I have told you can't product as much fruit and vegetables in pottery like you can in a raised bed or traditional garden (at least in my experiences).
This week I have learned one thing that I thought was interesting and wanted to spread it to you though and yes it involves gardening your pottery. This is something I should have put together a while ago but didn't. Did you know if you are using a pot that using a dish to hold the extra water that you can actually cause your dirt to rot and cause root rot if the dirt is always sitting in water. In my case this explained why when I tried transplanting plants into bigger pots the dirt always smell rotten and the plant never seems in good shape (on the edge of death). Since I have start switching over from pots and water saucers underneath now to these new pots (new to me) I am actually seeing better looking plants and overall healthier plants too.
I would recommend only using these kind pots for indoor use though because if you keep them outside you can temporary flood (rains) your plant which can use your plant to die. This is because it will take the pot longer to drain out the liquids that it would the traditional pot with several holes in it.

On a side note
The reason I am bring up gardening using pottery is because I now using this technique to grow my habernos and other plants for my greenhouse.

Fact of Week
In terms of gardening I have learned that pepper plants seem to grow a better in spring and fall than in summer including habernos, bell peppers, and jalapenos.

No comments:

Post a Comment