Thursday, August 18, 2011

Gardening using Pottery Part 2

Like I promised in the earlier post I will show you the difference between plants in pots and plants in a garden box.
Below is an example of a Habanero plant I have been growing in a post and next is a picture of a Habanero grown in a garden box/flower bed.

I am not sure how easy it is to tell from the pictures but the Habanero plant growing in the garden box/flower bed is easily 4 inches taller and a lot healthier of plant. There is no yellowing or leaf decay on the plant while the potted plant is considerably smaller and not as healthy of a plant. Both of these plants were planted on the same day and in the same soil; they were treated the same when it came to fertilizer and watering.
Now like I said this doesn't mean you can't grow certain plants from pots. I have been very successful in growing banana peppers and tomatoes in pots.
These tomatoes plants are considerably smaller in height and overall bushy-ish  however they are strong and healthy plants.
Growing plants in pots are very useful when it comes to gardening in small spaces however I don't feel like you can get the same "bang for the buck" in produce from a plant as you can from growing the same plant in a garden box. I am not sure why this is but this is what I have learned in my gardening experience.

Question of the week
What kind of garden plants have you grown in pots and what kind of luck have you had growing in pots?

No comments:

Post a Comment