Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Watering your garden

When it comes to watering your garden it can become very tricky on when do you water your garden and how much do you water my garden.
When it comes to when should you water my garden you will find two different answers: watering in the morning or water in the evenings. Some people will say when you water your garden at night you promote mold growth while others will say if you water in the mornings you have a greater chance of burning your plants. When I started trying to figure out the best time to water my garden and potted plants, I tried both and honestly I don't see any major difference as long as you don't water in the heat of the day; and between you and me if you are going to water in the middle of the day I would say just soaking the ground around the plant is the best opinion. This will help keep you from burning you plant. The biggest problem I have with watering my plants is in the middle of summer, when it is over 100 degrees, is your vegetables (tomatoes especially) will get splits in them.
This doesn't mean your tomato is bad and you should throw it away, it just means that the tomato had more water than the skin couldn't hold in it. The tomato will heal from this tear/split.

When I am watering my plants I want to try and get as much water on the plants roots as I can without flooding the plant. The reason for this is, you want your plants to develop a deep wide root base that way you aren't having to water your plants as often. This will help promote a healthier and stronger plant. A good way of testing to see if you are watering your plants enough is to pick a place beside your plant (not close to the roots hopefully) and see if the ground has moisture at least an inch deep. This is because any water you have near the surface is first to evaporate during the heat of the afternoon, plus will once again help allow your plant's roots to dig deeper for water.
On a side note,
     I wouldn't water you plant more than a couple times a week that way you keep from having giving you plant root rot and allowing the plant to adopt the environment you are in.

Useful tip of the week
If you are wanting to grow strawberries in a garden, try and buy the plants that have runners shooting off from them. That way you are buying two or more plants instead of just one plant for the price of one plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment