Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Gardening using Pottery

I am sure we have all tried growing a flower in a pot, which makes us think we can grow anything using a pot, soil, and a seed. Well through my experience it doesn't work that way for every plant. I have been trying to grow Habanero plants using pots for two years and so far I have had no success doing this. The problem I have had is that the plant will grow tall and bushy with tons of leaves and flowers; then the next thing I know all the leaves are turning yellow and all of the flowers are all just falling off.
This doesn't mean I can't ever get a vegetable or fruit plant to grow in a pot. I have had great success growing banana peppers, lemon trees, and growing tomatoes. It seems like these heartier plants do better for me.

I am going to keep trying to master growing plants from pots however I would recommend building a garden box for your vegetable and fruit plants. I will describe in later posts, how to build a garden box. I will try and remember to take pictures of the my plants in their pots and then compare it to the same kind of plants I have planted in my garden box; and let everyone be the judge

My useful tip of the week
When it comes to using pots for gardening; I would recommend getting the next size up in pottery from what you are thinking. If you notice you are having to water a plant every day otherwise it looks dead (not because of heat); you will need to transfer the plant to a larger pot because that plant is getting root bound (roots haves no where to expand too)

No comments:

Post a Comment